• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson Talks Decision to Take Pay Cut to Remain in Carolina

ladypanther

Knowing that several free agents weren't set to get big deals, it became an easy decision for Thompson.

"Shoot. Just look at the linebacker market. Nobody was getting paid. Tight end market nobody was getting paid. Running back market nobody was getting paid. So, it was just weighing out do I want to be here or do I want to go somewhere else. Do I want to be with my brothers who I went to war with? Or do I want to go to a different team and meet new people? I'm a big, loyal guy, so I stay with my brothers. And I was like man, I'd rather win with you guys. If I lose, I'd rather lose with y'all. I definitely want to win a Super Bowl but I want to win one with them. I don't want to win one with anybody else."

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/article276019871.html#storylink=cpy

Decision to stay was made easy when he realized there were very few FAs getting big money.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Shaq is one of the most underrated Panthers in franchise history.

Tough act to follow behind Luke & TD, but he's much better than a lot of fans want to give him credit for

Shaq has been one of my favorites since his "F*ck the Seahawks" rant his rookie season.

• Pie 9

35 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Decision to stay was made easy when he realized there were very few FAs getting big money.

Yea but no doubt he could go to a contender and try for a ring. At least play in some deep playoff games. Despite the homerism on this forum, that’s pretty unlikely in the next couple of years here with a rookie qb and new HC. In fact I don’t think that’s every happened, and there are only a couple examples of that year 3. Which is possible if the stars align…but Shaq would be 33 by then.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

Shaq is one of the most underrated Panthers in franchise history.

Tough act to follow behind Luke & TD, but he's much better than a lot of fans want to give him credit for

Yep. I’ve been saying for awhile that Shaq is a really good LB that had the unfortunate task of following some all time great LBs

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Everyone that commented on here wanted Shaq's ass cut you damn hypocrites I'm totally disgusted 

Yea, this board should allow no slander of Shaq after seeing those quotes (except for a 5 minute period following a missed tackle). 

• Pie 4