• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mecklenburg County manager says no to public funding for Panthers

SaltAndPepper

To be clear, city residents in NC also pay county taxes. So, while Tepper will pony up some of the money, Charlotte will have to come up with the rest as Meck County will not raise property taxes in order to contribute.

And, in my humble opinion, the residents shouldn't have to foot the bill for any of these stadium renovations, new construction or otherwise given how much money the NFL and individual teams are raking in every year.

• Pie 7

2 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Tepper should pay me and everyone here for wasting our time watching his team suck ass since he bought it.

The fact that these billionaires want taxpayer money is ridiculous.

It should be criminalized so that cities who make the right decisions for their taxpayers aren’t held hostage, especially now that there have been studies which show that the business and revenue generated absolutely do not make up for it. It is a gross misuse of taxpayer money, and the taxpayer gets nothing in return. Like the least they could do is drop ticket prices for local residents. Say they get 40% funded by the city, then city residents should get 40% cheaper tickets or something.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Nothing to see here.  I don't think anybody expected anything from the county, did they?

And I have had a conversation with (Panthers owner) David Tepper in the past, that the county would not participate in any financial support for stadium upgrades because of what you (Cotham) said — that the city has a specific tax (on hotels and food and beverage preparation) that’s dedicated to that purpose, and the county does not have that.”

• Pie 2