• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little Steve Wilks news

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He has never had a good one though. I’m ok with ignoring that season as Cardinals HC, but that just makes him unproven. You need a good offensive mind to keep up in today’s NFL. I get the players backed him, but that usually happens with an interim HC because if they don’t and he gets the job it makes it very awkward. Players were backing Rhule until he got fired. 

Nobody was backing Rhule. You had players question the direction of the team Shaq and Reddick specifically. To say Wilks doesn't deserve to be a HC with such little on his resume is just unfair. If you don't see that then there is no need to continue this discussion.

Rhule shouldn't even be mentioned he was just not suited for the NFL. He even mentioned that during a interview with Cowherd.

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I don't care who interviews him. I just wanted him to be our HC.

he was and he blew it

He is not head coach material in 2023 version of the nfl.  Early 90's sure he may do fine but we already hired a guy with wilks skillset and his name was Ron.  it doesnt work, if it did teams would be lined up to at least interview him, spoiler alert.........they didnt

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

he was and he blew it

He is not head coach material in 2023 version of the nfl.  Early 90's sure he may do fine but we already hired a guy with wilks skillset and his name was Ron.  it doesnt work, if it did teams would be lined up to at least interview him, spoiler alert.........they didnt

I can't continue this discussion you fail to understand that the Rooney Rhule is a real thing. These minorities aren't talking just to talk. There is proof.

Wilks not getting multiple interviews was crazy. ESPN discussed it on all their debate shows. It is what it is.

Wish Wilks well. Hope he gets a "fair" chance to be a HC in the future. Not joining some tanking franchise with no QB kind of chance.

• Beer 1

You don't hire someone as your head coach because you want to do them a favor. That's certainly no better than Tepper and Hurney falling in love with Matt Rhule over meatballs. And if you are going to cite unstable ownership as the reason it was unfair one candidate was fired while overlooking whatever the hell Jim Irsay is doing in Indianapolis. Well you don't have a leg to stand on.

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Nobody was backing Rhule. You had players question the direction of the team Shaq and Reddick specifically. To say Wilks doesn't deserve to be a HC with such little on his resume is just unfair. If you don't see that then there is no need to continue this discussion.

Rhule shouldn't even be mentioned he was just not suited for the NFL. He even mentioned that during a interview with Cowherd.

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article266812766.html

They literally backed Rhule while he was getting booed in October. I get it you like Wilks as a HC and that’s perfectly ok. I was simply explaining why some of us preferred an offensive minded HC. I

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article266812766.html

They literally backed Rhule while he was getting booed in October. I get it you like Wilks as a HC and that’s perfectly ok. I was simply explaining why some of us preferred an offensive minded HC. I

No problem. I like Wilks but I was also open to a offensive HC. I just didn't think Frank should have been the hire. Hiring a HC who got fired just never made sense to me. This is Tepper we are dealing with so it is what it is.

Hope Frank does well, but so far he hasn't looked like he belongs. Then you have people saying don't expect playoffs for a few years is not giving me any confidence in him being a upgrade.

We will see how it goes.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

No problem. I like Wilks but I was also open to a offensive HC. I just didn't think Frank should have been the hire. Hiring a HC who got fired just never made sense to me. This is Tepper we are dealing with so it is what it is.

Hope Frank does well, but so far he hasn't looked like he belongs. Then you have people saying don't expect playoffs for a few years is not giving me any confidence in him being a upgrade.

We will see how it goes.

I think the people talking about needing a couple years are considering our new staff having to gut a lot of Rhule’s roster to get players for their schemes.  I’d imagine any new staff would have similar expectations for these people. Even if Wilks was our HC he would be doing a roster overhaul IMO. I’m not saying they are right or you are wrong but just trying to show you where it’s coming from. 
I low key want Thomas Brown to learn with Reich for a couple years and take over as HC when Reich steps down. I really like what I’ve heard from him and thing he is a great mind to pair with Young. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

The interesting thing about Wilkes last year to me was that even though his background was as a defensive coach, it was our offense that got better under him.  And by better, I mean it looked like an actual NFL offense.  The defense on the other hand stayed the same or got slightly worse.  Cincy abused us, and Pitt physically dominated us in the trenches.  Tampa had its best offensive game of the season against us. For a defensive coach, that is not good.  

• Pie 6