• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns out of practice, Frank Reich not saying if absence is contract-related

WarPanthers89

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm all for seeing what Burns can do in the new scheme prior to paying him. Before we hand him an elite, game changing pass rusher contract we might as well see him in the new scheme first. He has played in very few meaningful games in his career and I just can't forget that in one of the very few last year with a playoff berth on the line Brian Burns' face was on a milk carton. 

I don’t believe he’s earned that kind of money personally but it is what it is when you turn down the Rams offer, then you signaled you’ll be paying while grabbing your ankles

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

7 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

When you turned down the Rams offer, that basically que’d you his agent to send Fitterer a bottle of KY

That Fitterer's mistake. If he were going to meet Burns demands he would have already. I'm glad he's holding the line wherever it is. If Burns wants TJ Watt money show us you are as good or better.  Plain and simple. If not, play on the tag next year or renegotiate.  No more of the Marty Hurney school thinking where you pay players according to what you hope the could turn into instead of paying them in line with what they have shown you so far.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If he does, he does. I just want to see him breakthrough and show that he's elite before paying him like he's elite. 

His last 3 seasons he's gone 9, 9, and 12.5 sacks on bad teams that faced offenses who were able to run the ball a lot because they were playing with the lead.  We already knew he'd be in a new scheme when we turned down 2 firsts for him, you don't do that if you then need to see him in the new scheme before committing to him.

What more do you want to see out of him to pay him like a Top 5 pass rusher?  

We could make him the highest paid defensive player right now (won't happen, but just saying if we did) and within 2 years he wouldn't even be in the Top 10 anymore.  

Absolute worst case scenario if we don't re-sign him now (outside of injury) would be that he struggles in a new scheme and puts up 8-10 sacks.  In that case, we either lose him for nothing (or a 3rd round comp pick) or we still have to sign him to a massive contract to keep him since some other 4-3 team out there would pay him big money to steal him from us and play him as a standard DE again.

Worst case scenario if we do sign him to a big deal now and he struggles in the scheme, we then are able to flip him for a haul of draft picks, like the Raiders did with Khalil Mack.

I see no reason to not re-sign him before week 1, just get it done.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

I don’t believe he’s earned that kind of money personally but it is what it is when you turn down the Rams offer, then you signaled you’ll be paying while grabbing your ankles

What money is he asking for?

How do you even know what he wants. Nothing has been reported on his contract. Seems to me he is waiting on the Bosa deal and will probably ask for something a little less than Bosa.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Probably a nothing burger.  I doubt Brian Burns waited until now to start his hold out.

I'd actually say waiting until now would be the smart move, much smarter than what Bosa is doing.

You learn the new defense, show the coaches how valuable you can be while also making sure you're fully prepared for the season.

Then threaten to sit out and hope the deal gets done before Week 1, which if it does, will put him in a better place to be ready for the season than someone like Bosa would be if he signs before next weekend as well.

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, Mage said:

Probably a nothing burger.  I doubt Brian Burns waited until now to start his hold out.

Bingo who goes through training camp (risky), joint practices (extremely risky) and practices up until a week before the season starts and then decides naw I’m good I’ll wait till they pay me. The holdout factor makes absolutely no sense now. 

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

The problem is if he then goes and balls out this year, puts up 15 sacks, we’ll have to make him the highest paid defensive player in league history to be able to keep him.

The odds aren’t good that he’ll suck in the new system, particularly since he’s still going to just be rushing the passer on most snaps.

Better to lock him up now and maybe over pay his CURRENT market rate than risk having to pay market rate next offseason, which will 100% be higher if he has a good year.

We turned down 2 firsts for him, have to lock him up long term on a deal that doesn’t make him the highest paid defender in the league

We don’t have to market for Burns even if he has a good year. I would hope Fitt would negotiate better than that