• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So How Would You Grade The Trade Up Now??

Hoenheim

Grade the trade  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete

Impossible to grade yet because the Bears haven't used the picks they got from us yet, and Bryce still has one more year to prove he belongs. 

We won't know how exactly to grade the trade for 3-4 more years, after it's been determined if Bryce can turn it around or not, and after the Bears' picks they got from us have been in the league for a minute.

• Poo 1

The trade up wasn’t the problem, it’s who we took. If the trade includes who we actually got in the trade then it’s an F ***** minus. Just the trade value on its own merits I’d still go with a B. 

Edited by JawnyBlaze
Actually now that I think about, you have to add in the fact the next draft pick we gave is #1 overall, I’d drop my “on its own merits” score to an F as well.
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, the only issue is have with the trade if we'd taken Stroud was not including Burns instead of DJ. When I was sitting at the brewery and saw the trade being announced on ESPN my very first thought was... we just included our only proven NFL WR in a trade to get a QB, how does that make any sense?

Especially after trading CMC for what amounted to a mid 2nd. Considering our 2nd round picks under Fitterer netted us Darnold, TMJ and Mingo, we already knew we were just giving away CMC.

Burns was the perfect substitution. No real impact in your rookie QB’s development and we would have fleeced the Bears had we traded Burns to LA and then used the picks. Going into 2023, our 1st round picks were less valuable than the Rams (they had a legit amazing 2023 draft) so the Bears would have wanted the Rams’ firsts instead of ours. We could have won another few games (due to CMC/Moore/minus Burns) and still had a top 5 pick.

Couple making the correct trade and picking the right QB and Fitterer and Reich might still be around, which would likely have not been good and they were cogs in our utter destruction so conjecturing about “good moves” and Fitterer is an exercise in futility.

100% fail. Top 5 worst NFL trades ever. All of it is fail, from the player picked to the value of the picks traded. Comically bad trade value mixed with absurd player evaluation incompetence. Who trades their future to become a worst team and end up with so little tallent?  The Panthers.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I graded it an F at the time. I grade it as an F now. If the staff, and Tepper, had just let Josh McCown do his job, we would have Stroud right now. Instead Tepper got to ignore his $30,000,000 staff of football experts based on a dinner where a 5’9 185 lb QB ordered a SALAD; and perhaps he listened to Nick Saban. 

I got a week long suspension in the summer for continuing to talk about this. 

My desired draft was as follows (trade down):

1. Dalton Kincaid

2. Zach Charbonnet

3. Marvin Mims

4-7. defense

Keep Wilks and let him hire his staff, re-sign Darnold, re-sign Foreman, trade Burns, trade Horn, keep DJ Moore, sign a TE like Hayden Hurst. 

Instead, we got what we got. We may have sucked again in 2023, but we would’ve had a shot at Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, McCarthy, Bo Nix, etc. 

My idea for the franchise being better than a billionaire hedge fund managers is hilarious to me. If I were a coach, or free agent, I wouldn’t want to come to Charlotte right now. 

We are the new Cleveland. Ironic considering Tepper’s ties to Pittsburgh. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's what David Tepper has been ever since he bought the team. An absolute sucker. He had gotten tooled over and over again. He's the guy he almost certainly used to mock in the world of investments. Oh look, this rich kid watched a few podcasts and now he thinks he's a real wheeler and dealer. Watch this while I straight up take his ass to school and steal his lunch money. Tepper thought all his financial analytics and business experience was just going to seamlessly translate to dominating the NFL. Some classic straight up Dunning-Kruger poo. I honestly don't think it ever occurred to him all the work he put into being elite in the investment world. Okay, now realize you're up against folks who did that same thing in the world of football. You're not coming in with some analytics and meatball dinner conversations and beating them at their game straight out of the gate.

He seems to have forgotten that football at the pro level (and college, too nowadays) is a billions of dollars business in its own right. It can be just as, and possibly more, complicated than running a hedge fund. 

He's been finding that out the hard way.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

He seems to have forgotten that football at the pro level (and college, too nowadays) is a billions of dollars business in its own right. It can be just as, and possibly more, complicated than running a hedge fund. 

He's been finding that out the hard way.

Honestly, it's a lot harder. The resources are more limited in terms of the talent pool and you can't have multiple investors. You can't just buy stock in Patrick Mahomes for example. You have to identify him as that dude and find a way to get him then no one else can have him.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

It wouldve been fine if we picked the right QB. It was obvious, just like how it was obvious Steichen shouldve been the choice for HC, but we f**ked it up.

I like to think there’s an alternate universe where being a Panthers fan isn’t constant disappointment.