• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why carolina can not* afford to lose Burns

37 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Hes not going to demand 30 million his value at this point is 20-25 million and we can absoutely afford to pay him that.Screenshot_20240129_213514_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4cc157f44f3e336292497d55f9208c25.jpg

We offered him that last season and he turned it down, then he had a down year and his value should be down even further. 

Either he signs a 20m a season deal or he gets the non exclusive tag.

• Pie 1

Just now, DrowsyJungle said:

You do not overpay Burns. You trade and get players that'll provide more value for the money with draft picks as well. Burns is not elite and we don't need to overpay when we have major needs elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Yes, lets continue our history of paying mid players top end contracts. 

Look I’m not about to argue with a bunch of guys still trying to run the Bill Belli playbook in 2024.

• Poo 1

Watching the games on championship weekend on Sunday, proved that all pass rushers, truly elite pass rushers don't contain the run well. Boss and young certainly did not against the Lions. 

So to sit here and say Burbs is one dimensional is not accurate, not without calling all of them one dimensional.  As a fan of defense, I enjoy watching the defensive libe and linebackers play. Burns is not a 1 trick pony.  You may get casual fans to buy that BS. 

Without Burns, our line will be pure trash besides brown.  We can't do that. 

Burns can't be replaced with any draft capital that we have available,  or what we can attain in a trade.   

Burns needs to be retained. If we ever get him some actual help on the other side, and improved linebacker play, the run defense will get much better. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

The Burns bashing is way beyond the levels of crazy. Did he have a down year by his standards yes, but so did the entire team. Being the sole pass rushing threat on the defense teams must account for is difficult enough. Not to mention playing on the tag risking serious injury or financial ruin.

When other held out for contracts Burns showed up to camp ready and excited to join his teammates. Despite what the huddle thinks hes still well regarded around the league and would still demand a first round compensation. 

The problem with trading him is you have to replace him, and replacing his first round pedigree with anything other than a first round talent(dj johnson and gross) is near impossible. You would have to burn another first and hope he becomes a top 10 presence. I mean look at the pressure generated by the defense and if you listen to the way fans tell it Burns is the problem.

20240129_201114.jpg

Honestly, I disagree a lot. We can very much afford to lose burns because we are beginning a pretty long rebuild. There is no way I am paying him the 30 million per year he wants to be an above average pass rusher that can't play the run.

I won't argue that he has no other talented pass rushers around him, but he isn't in the top end elite category that would command the money he wants. Honestly, I'm not sure any team pays him that

• Pie 1

Yes, an elite pass rusher is needed to be competitive in today's NFL

Yes, paying big money for that pass rusher is acceptable

No, paying big money for a pass rusher who doesn't put up elite pass rushing stats/impact (not just sacks), when you're at the literal bottom of the rung of a re-build ladder isn't acceptable.  If we didn't have such a garbage roster with a QB who is going to be out of the league within a few years, missing our 1st this year and our 2nd next year, then it might make more sense.

But all things considered, paying Burns is just stupid as he'll be 30 and the contract will be up by the time this team has any real chance at contending, in the best case scenario.

You trade him, get the picks, and use it to help re-build this roster, period.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

A happy and paid Brian Burns is a top DE in this league.  Not trading him

This board is strange…he is literally our best player along with Brown.  
Yeah…let’s trade him away. 

Pay him 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 5

1 hour ago, PootieNunu said:

We offered him that last season and he turned it down, then he had a down year and his value should be down even further. 

Either he signs a 20m a season deal or he gets the non exclusive tag.

That was before this season which clearly lowered his value.

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

Pay him 

He's no Luvu.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

Pay him 

Like how he was a top DE before he was unhappy with his contract, right? Making all of those big game-changing plays?

There is 5 years of tape on Burns. He is a known quantity, and people tend to suddenly get better/play harder before the contract, not after. This team only lost by 2 possessions or less several times - Burns had his chance to show he took the next step and deserves elite money. He failed to do so. 

• Pie 1

Burns will never play up to what we will be forced to pay him. We are better off letting him go for absolutely nothing and using that cash saved elsewhere vs locking him up long term.

I'd prefer we get something for him but honestly as long as he isn't on the team by the start of next season it's a win for the Panthers

• Pie 1

Should have traded his ass for that massive bounty and avoided all this absurd and nonsensical drama.

Its not necessarily Burn's fault, but not taking that trade has put Burns and the Panthers in a bad position. The trade would have worked out well for everyone.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1