• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rappoport: Multiple teams interested in trading for Teddy Bridgewater

4 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

I dont think he is getting traded. Why would anybody want to give up anything for him when they know he will probably be cut soon anyhow? He does not have the extreme talent that would make a team want to jump up before he is cut to grab him in order to keep others from getting him.

I agree. I’m holding out hope knowing how nice it would be to have that extra $10M (such a bad deal), but we trapped ourselves into a 2 year deal minimum for a guy who all, expect a few folks, of us wouldn’t mistake for a real franchise QB. He ended up not being the guy and now we are stuck hoping someone takes him off our hands.

He may be traded to a team that does not want to bid on him on the open market.  There are a lot of really good teams with stud QBs and below average backups.  They don't want to throw away their season if their franchise QB goes down for 6-8 weeks (think NO).  TB can hold things steady and keep a team afloat while waiting for their guy to return. 

Think of a team like Tampa.  Brady is old - he could screw up his knew and miss 8 games in the middle of the season.  That team is too good to have to rely on Gabbert.  TB probably allows them to go 5-3 or 6-2 until Brady is back for the playoff push.  

Cutting him saves us 3m.

But if Carolina can convert 7m of his salary to bonus - reducing his base salary to 10m.  I think some teams might be willing to bite on this price.  In this scenario, we save 6m instead of 3m, and receive some compensation (maybe a future 3rd or 4th).  Savings could increase in 2021 if we spread the dead hit into next year. 

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Trade Teddy in a player-for-player swap or a 6th and 7th this year.   Denver has three 7ths this draft, so it's really like they are parting with their 6th.

No one wants the salary. If they just wait until he is cut, they can sign him for cheaper.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I honestly think that ship has sailed. I also don't think Denver wants him that badly.

I could see Denver wanting him, but not necessarily enough to give up what we'd want in return.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:29 PM, TheSpecialJuan said:

Alex Smith retirement is good news for us he was the only other vet QB out there 

Part of the reason he retired was he only saw backup / mentor type of offers available. 

On 4/19/2021 at 3:31 PM, Michael G said:

Denver would maybe give us a 7th, if we pay Teddy's Salary over what they'd pay-which would probably be close to league Min.

If we pay it, do we get to dump cap space?...especially next year?