• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nostalgia Bomb.

Ivan The Awesome

11 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

One of the greatest games ever played

It had quality defense, quality offense, great individual plays, lead changes... really was a great representation of the general game of football.

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Everyone remembers late Jake---noodle arm.  Unfortunately last impressions usually stick.  Before he blew out his elbow and Tommy Jone forever changed Jake's arm strength, Jake actually had a cannon.  Not Josh Allen strong, but well above average.   That pass in the SB clip traveled 53 yards in the air AND he led Muhammed...he didn't have to break stride.   

I still remember watching Jake during his first TC.  On my annual pilgrimage to Wofford, this particular day it started raining in the morning and they moved practice to the gym.  Fans were allowed to watch form the second floor balcony.  Jake's throws were popping.  Some friends and I were like that Saint's backup has some mustard on his throws!  You could literally hear the slapping of the ball when it hit the WRs hands.  His velocity looked twice that of Rodney Peete's throws.

So no, Jake didn't always have a noodle arm.

And he barely even stepped into it, just tossed it out there. 

• Pie 1

I remember the start of the ‘03 season when Fox started Peete and I was sure he would keep him in for the entire game. About fell over when Jake came out and beat the Jags with that pass to Proehl despite the INTs. As fans we knew there was something there that season. Should have been a W in the SB. Now it’s known as the Wardrobe Malfunction SB. Sigh.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

I can’t remember if he said he was talking to Ty or Rodney Harrison but he said he may have said something about their mother.

Jake also was the only one who would/could yell at Agent89.  Smitty said he could see that fire in Jakes eyes.  The crazy kind.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have that fire you'll end up being JAG.

Smitty owes a lot of his future HOF induction to Jake.  Jake had that gunslinger mentality and would sling it out there for Smitty to make a play.  Smitty was always up for the task and made some incredible catches.

Jake and Cam are neck and neck as my favorite Panther QBs.

If one of these rookies have that insane fire.  I would take him over a slightly more talented QB with less fire in him.

Flame away, but Jake Delhomme was still the greatest Panther. Dude needs a statue. (But not one with the ripped pants...)

Cam won game after game because he was such a distinct and unique talent on the field. Powerful arm, huge size, one of the best open field runners to ever play the game. He could become Superman and stay that way for an entire game. 

Jake, however, could drag a team out of the mud, lift them all up and grind out tough win after tough win. He literally was at his best when things got their toughest. He could read and manipulate defenses, he could call protections with the best of them and more than anything, the dude believed in his teammates and elevated them. He doesn't get enough credit for Smitty winning the receiving triple crown one year and then Moose getting close to it the following season when Smitty was injured. When it was over, though, it went bad fast as these things often do. We remember too much of that Arizona game and the following season, and not enough of when he was the guy that always, always, always gave us a shot to win.

• Pie 2

Don't know what's more surprising. The fact the record hasn't been broken by now or that Moose and not Smitty has it.

And yes, Jake was such a gunslinger which was why his career was effectively over that day in Atlanta. I often wonder what could've been in 2008 with a healthy elbow.

• Pie 3