• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Monday morning thoughts

Zod

32 minutes ago, chknwing said:

if Carolina tanks another season, do they use their 1st on a qb in next years draft?

Absolutely.

At worst Corral could be a serviceable backup and that's nothing for what he cost.

• Pie 5

1. I agree, they played the draft as well as they could have.

2. Wish I could agree but given the Panthers atrocious record of drafting QBs outside the first round I’m not hopeful.

3. The fans think this many seasons around draft time. 

4. I agree but even if he struggles he will still play better than almost anyone they’ve had in the last 10 years since Gross retired. 

32 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I heard on a podcast suggesting we start Corral sooner rather than later. 
If he does well we have our starting QB of the future. If he doesn’t then we do poorly, Rhule is fire and we draft high enough to get a QB. 

That's how you ruin rookie qb's. Throwing them into the ocean before they can swim. That seems more like an agenda to can Rhule than trying to get better.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

That's how you ruin rookie qb's. Throwing them into the ocean before they can swim. That seems more like an agenda to can Rhule than trying to get better.

Or if it looks like we’re gonna get a top-five pick again and potentially a franchise quarterback it makes us see what he can do. I don’t necessarily agree with it but I find it interesting. 
The podcast never even mentioned Rhule once. It wasn’t an agenda against him.

Edited by TLGPanthersFan

44 minutes ago, Zod said:

2. Corral is the most exciting Panthers rookie QB since Cam Newton. That much is not really debatable. At the very least it's some interest and excitement to see how he does. 

imo he's the most exciting QB we've aside from Cam. I've said elsewhere that he can make watching the panthers offense fun again. He's got a lot of the same kind of play making traits. Of course not as good, but still very talented and can make stuff happen when the pressure is on. 

47 minutes ago, Zod said:

3. The Panthers have the most complete roster that they have had in probably 4 seasons. If this is not a winning season, Rhule absolutely needs to be canned.

totally agree here. i think the picture is filling out. winning season will be tough because it's a tough looking group of opponents, but it's still very doable...unless we revert back to Sammy running the offense, which i could totally see Rhule letting happen because he would rather play a bad vet than a promising rookie. i still think that unless we make a deep run in the playoffs that Rhule should be fired. i doubt that's Tepper's standard, though. His standards are pretty low, apparently. Rhule doesn't really have excuses for not putting together at least a winning season, though. 

Also, I'm not at all worried about Icky. He'll be solid from day 1.

This draft was like watching grass grow.   We drafted Ickey Ekwono  is a GREAT pick. Exactly what we need. A potentially long time left tackle.  Drafting O Line and D line ( hog mollies )  is not excited. but it's exactly what we need.  Great pick ( fingers crossed, franchise left tackle  )

Picking the 3-4 QB in a bad QB draft class isn't exciting.   I'm hoping he's for the best and that in 2-3 years we raving on how we got the steal of the draft.. 

We still picked a player from Baylor/Temple .. sighhhhhh. ( were there no long snappers available lol )

Happy with the draft.   Hope we don't go after Jimmy G or Baker Mayfield 

There are several QBs that have shined their first year but there are also HOFers that absolutely sucked their first year.  

If he can pick up the offense I think with his quick processing skills he'll win the job against Darnold.  Actually I think this offense will benefit both QBs as it won't require the QB to throw 300+ yards per game. 

Unless Corral looks totally abysmal I think we stick with him going into 2023.  Plus with the talent we have I don't see us losing the majority of our games.   We'll, at minimum, be about .500.

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I heard on a podcast suggesting we start Corral sooner rather than later. 
If he does well we have our starting QB of the future. If he doesn’t then we do poorly, Rhule is fire and we draft high enough to get a QB. 

I think they have a few games. But if he balls out in practice and is noticeably better than Darnold right out of the gate then he’s gonna start by game 2. Could definitely be a Russell Wilson situation tho. He started 16 games right after they brought in Flynn in FA.

Edited by unicar15
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Zod said:

4. I'd like to remind everyone that for a LT to step in and be good right away is very rare. Most struggle for at least a few games if not an entire season. Heck, Jordan Gross started at RT his rookie year for this very reason.

It’s been so long a reminder is sorely needed.

• Unless injuries take out CMC, our OL and secondary again, we are not going to have a top 3 pick next year.
  • Rhule may get fired, but it isn't going to happen  this season, Tepper has pretty much said so.  In fact, he thanked Rhule in his predraft presser for the coaches and players acquired in the off-season.
  • Sam sucks, but he is going to look better this year with the revamped OL, CMC returning, Foreman, and Macadoo.  

We have the 14th hardest SOS this year.
We had  the 23rd hardest SOS last year.

We have 6 games against playoff teams this year.
We had  5 games against playoff teams last year.

We will play 2 games against a SB participant this year.
We played  2 games against a SB participant last year.

Vegas has us at 5.5 wins this year.
Vegas had us at 7.5 wins last year.

If injuries kill our OL, CMC and secondary again this year, expect a repeat performance, regardless of who is at QB.

• Beer 2

29 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I think they have a few games. But if he balls out in practice and is noticeably better than Darnold right out of the gate then he’s gonna start by game 2. Could definitely be a Russell Wilson situation tho. He started 16 games right after they brought in Flynn in FA.

For Corrals sake, I'd wait a few games to let the new offensive line gel a bit. Let them learn to play together 2-3 weeks then put Corrall in there so he's not scrambling for his life.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

Depends if Corral gets a chance to actually play. If he does well and holds up, then go with a more pressing need. Having two rookie QB's as potential starters on the roster really is redundant if he turns out to be the guy.

A competent backup would be the need.

If you get 2 qbs who can play and are both on a rookie contract you hit the jackpot. When it is time for resigning you keep the best and trade the other if you can't sign both.  Why shoot for a backup if you find a potential starter on a rookie deal.

• Pie 2