• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who ARE interested in Sean Payton...

t96

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because people have a tendency to think getting a Super Bowl winning coach guarantees winning.

It doesn't.

Winning a championship is an extremely difficult thing that requires a lot of things come together and go right.

Lots of guys try to recreate those winning situations in a new place...and pretty much always fail.

Sure. Super Bowl winning coaches don't necessarilly guarantee winning, but it sure as hell increases your chances..

11 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Curious as to why folks didn't want Mike McCarthy off the street last time around but do want Payton at the cost of draft assets this time?

McCarthy: 155-96-2 (.617) regular season record, 10-9 (.526) playoff record, 1 SB win, 4 NFCCG appearances

Payton: 152-89 (.631) regular season record, 9-8 (.529) playoff record, 1 SB win, 3 NFCCG appearances 

Familiarity. We saw first hand what an offensive genius Payton was as he and Brees scorched us all the time. All we knew about MM is that he looks like a creepy pedo and had A-Rod as his QB.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Curious as to why folks didn't want Mike McCarthy off the street last time around but do want Payton at the cost of draft assets this time?

McCarthy: 155-96-2 (.617) regular season record, 10-9 (.526) playoff record, 1 SB win, 4 NFCCG appearances

Payton: 152-89 (.631) regular season record, 9-8 (.529) playoff record, 1 SB win, 3 NFCCG appearances 

Honestly Rodgers is much better than Brees, I think Payton had more of a hand in the Aints’ success than McCarthy did in the Packers’. But yeah they are closer than many would think

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Said it earlier but it applies here...

There's always some unicorn, generally a head coach or a quarterback, who fans latch on to thinking "if we just get this guy, we're guaranteed to win it all".

It's never that simple, and a good number of those guys wind up going somewhere else and failing.

I don't care about winning it all. I just want a winning franchise. I want 5 to 7 years of stability with a real shot.

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

To be fair, Payton got cheated out of a second Super Bowl appearance and everyone knows it.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

A lot of people were saying how much they hated Roman Harper for being an asshole when he was with the Saints and that changed once he was in a Panther uniform. Payton is an asshole, no doubt about that, but he is also one hell of a coach. I'd be open to have him as a coach as long as the price is right. If they are willing to take some kind of package bundling some of those CMC trade picks I'd be all for it but if they want pick 9 I'd likely pass.

• Beer 1