• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher claims Tuohy family tricked him into agreeing to conservatorship

hepcat

300 million in profits based on your life story and you haven’t received a red cent from the movie profits? I don’t know if this is true, we will see, but anyone in the Huddle that says they wouldn’t potentially sue from that arrangement is not being truthful. 

Edited by Beast_3000
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 2

lol@ those trashing Sandra Bullock for this.  Don't think she wrote the story.

From the link earlier provided:

Mike’s relationship with the Tuohy family started to decline when he discovered that he was portrayed in the movie as unintelligent,” his attorney, J. Gerard Stranch IV told Fletchet. “Their relationship continued to deteriorate as he learned that he was the only member of the family not receiving royalty checks from the movie, and it was permanently fractured when he realized he wasn’t adopted and a part of the family.”

When I watched the movie...I was bothered by how Oher was portrayed...basically as a giant oaf.

From the court filing: “Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys.”

Not sure why that took so long.  Money may be a motive but so what.  Looks like these people exploited him for their own gain.  They deserve to lose big.  Oher has made a positive contribution outside of football with his foundation.  I wish him the best.

• Pie 8

God, I know everyone is just piling on the Tuohys (and rightfully so), but the heartbreak Mike had to have experienced had to be awful and that's the part of the story people seem to be missing.  I mean he didn't have a stable life, that part was true, and he thought that they loved and wanted him as part of their family, only to find out in February of this year that it was a complete lie and he was used.  The human element of this is the saddest part of this.  I'll wait to see what comes in this and hope its some sort of misunderstanding, but if this is true, my god, there is truly a special place in hell for those assholes.

• Pie 4

From The Athletic...a little more detail:

Former NFL offensive tackle and Ole Miss standout Michael Oher.......... alleged Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy lied about adopting him and tricked him into agreeing to a conservatorship, according to a filing in Shelby County, Tenn., probate court.

The 14-page petition, obtained by The Athletic on Monday, said the Tuohys never took legal action to assume custody of Oher while he was a minor. Months after Oher had turned 18, however, the couple presented him with what he understood to be adoption papers, which in reality was paperwork to make them his conservators, according to the filing.  The conservatorship was filed in August 2004, according to the petition, and gave the Tuohy’s legal authority over Oher’s business deals.

“The lie of Michael’s adoption is one upon which Co-Conservators Leigh Anne Tuohy and Sean Tuohy have enriched themselves at the expense of their Ward, the undersigned Michael Oher,” the petition said. “Michael Oher discovered this lie to his chagrin and embarrassment in February of 2023, when he learned that the Conservatorship to which he consented on the basis that doing so would make him a member of the Tuohy family, in fact provided him no familial relationship with the Tuohys.”

The petition also claims the Tuohys negotiated a deal with Twentieth Century Fox that secured them and their two birth children $225,000 each, plus 2.5 percent of “defined net proceeds” from “The Blind Side.”

The petition said a separate contract purportedly signed by Oher in 2007 “appears to give away to Fox, without any payment whatsoever” the life rights to his story. Oher claims he has no memory of signing such a document, according to the filing.

Oher, 37, petitioned the court to end the conservatorship and seeks an injunction to prohibit the Tuohy’s from using his name, image and likeness, in addition to compensatory and punitive damages.

“Since at least August of 2004, Conservators have allowed Michael, specifically, and the public, generally, to believe that conservators adopted Michael and have used that untruth to gain financial advantages for themselves and the foundations which they own or which they exercise control,” Monday’s filing read. “All monies made in said manner should in all conscience and equity be disgorged and paid over to the said ward, Michael Oher.”

https://theathletic.com/4775501/2023/08/14/michael-oher-tuohy-adopted-conservatorship/