• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Brian Burns Get Tagged?

chknwing

2 hours ago, recceice said:

When they didn’t trade him they tied their hands to keeping him.. 

Plain and simple..

Not true with a new GM. If Scott would’ve traded for less than two 1sr’s, he’s an imbecile. Getting a first this year for a new GM is a win, because that old trade scenario is non-existent on his watch. 

Burns believes he deserves Elite DE money. Imagine franchising him for one year…he will be ‘scared’ to get hurt again. Time to tag and trade, as much as I loved watching him play. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, KBRed said:

Not true with a new GM. If Scott would’ve traded for less than two 1sr’s, he’s an imbecile. Getting a first this year for a new GM is a win, because that old trade scenario is non-existent on his watch. 

Burns believes he deserves Elite DE money. Imagine franchising him for one year…he will be ‘scared’ to get hurt again. Time to tag and trade, as much as I loved watching him play. 

Agree with this, a new GM means a clean slate. You tag him with the hope of trading him. Minimal chance he’ll sit out. Letting him seek out a trade will show him what the market is for a trade or a more reasonable contract with us. However I do prefer a trade at this point as I think we could get a first rounder. 

• Pie 1

We’re tagging him in hopes for a trade.  Unfortunately, there’s no way we get a first rounder for him anymore.

Panthers hands are tied in this situation.

I believe Panthers will want a high second round pick and later round pick this year.  Team on the other end will be hesitant to even give a high second rounder for him since he’s on a 1 year deal. 

So I believe 1 of 2 things happen:

If Burns chooses to remain on franchise tag even after he gets traded, he gets traded to a good team with a high 3rd pick this year (Lions, who own the Vikings pick) and a 3rd the next draft. 

Lions receive:

Brian Burns

Panthers receive:

73rd overall pick

2025 3rd-round pick

OR

Team B (maybe like the Rams) have a contract in place for Burns and Burns commits to that if a trade is completed and this is the trade:

Rams receive:

Brian Burns

Panthers receive:

53rd overall pick

2024 2nd-round pick  

…now you can say “fug that, not doing a trade unless we get a first rounder back, we’ll just let him walk”.  But cmon, in that scenario, you’re getting a late 3rd rounder and that’s IF you don’t make any major signings in free agency to cancel out the comp pick.

I’d love a first rounder but yeah I don’t think that’s possible anymore.  Those 2 options are the best and most likely only options. 

• Beer 1

Tag and trade for at least a first. The money he’s wanting will cripple our ability to keep Brown and Luvu. I mean if burns was consistently getting 16 sacks a year while making consistent impact in games I’d be all up for signing him at his asking price. But the guy disappears, and just like I said when he changed his jersey number, that the new number will reflect his impact in games. 
it turned out true. 

It's a shame Fitt blew the Rams deal, but he's finally gone. The goal now is to negotiate a more reasonable deal with Burns, while still keeping him happy. You really don't want to trade him at this point. Teams will not offer anywhere near the Rams wonderful deal, and that's terrible considering Burns talent level at his position. This problem would never have happened if were not for Fitt being incompetent.  We've got to fight tooth and nail with Burns butthole agent to do a reasonable deal. Even if it's not a great deal for us, I don't want Burns traded for one first. No. Sign him. Fight that agent for something reasonable. If no deal, then tag his ass, and we'll replace him later.

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Burns burned me. I had his back all year and he end ended the season with those comments. Guy was about his money the entire time.

Now I have to sell my Burns jersey smh.

I don't mind him being about his money. I just wish he'd gone out there this year with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he deserves the type of contract that he wants. I mean, you always hear about guys who only show up on payday years but Burns didn't even do that. It's even more frustrating because IMO freeing him up and maximizing his talents was the primary driver in the defensive scheme switch and then he just flat out no shows in the second half of the year. While talking about wanting to be one of the highest players in the lig. Bruh, just go on and GTFO of here with that poo.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Letting him walk for nothing....and y'all the ones hating on Fitt smh.

Franchise, work out a deal both sides can stomach, or trade. You don't lose him for nothing, that's simply not smart. 

You often don’t have a choice once you let it get to a certain place.  Lots of dudes walk.  You probably see that more than tag and trades 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, jfra78 said:

99% of us are about our money in whatever field we work in

Difference is if I take days off because I don’t think I’m paid enough or earned that money last year I’ll be fired. Burns does this and thinks he deserves more money. But I am only a pleb and don’t have it as easy so what do I know.

I do however wonder how that mindset translates out after a big contact and I’m sure other GMs do too.