• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wow, Steve Wilks just released in SF

jb2288

I haven’t read all 8 pages so sorry if it’s a repeat, but this seems like a pretty ballzy move by a head coach who had multiple players say in their post-game press conference they didn’t know the overtime rules, and displaying he didn’t get it either by receiving the ball to start overtime.  Not to mention a blocked extra point and turnover off a punt. Maybe they should have looked to the Special Teams Coordinator for a scapegoat. 

• Pie 2

Just like when he was let go here there are two different narratives playing out. The national media is making it all about the Super Bowl but Niners fans are saying it's been bad for awhile and the defense regressed this year under Wilks. 

• Pie 2

There were signs throughout the season that they were not on the same page, so I’m not surprised. I think Shanahan wanted a different type of defense so the hire was a bit odd to begin with.

But the Super Bowl loss itself is all on Shanahan, his offense did not deliver, players not aware of overtime rules speak of issues with preparations etc. 

I feel bad for Wilks, but in the end I just don’t think the two of them were a good match.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Happy with Evero personally, though I wanted Wilks for HC.

I think the season Wilks spent as DC here was the least impressive. He didn’t outright suck but it was different. Less it seemed.

Loved him as DB coach and think he did the job as HC, mostly. I haven’t really followed SF’s season but don’t find it shocking that this happened.

SF defense is the most talented defensive roster in the NFL.

Wilks performed ok with them but it was clear him and Shannahan weren't on the same page with his playcalling.   Wilks is notorious for that soft zone as other poster brought up.  Makes no sense with such a talented roster.

He should go back to being a DB coach/Associate Head Coach.  His strengths are not scheming and defensive play calling.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

There were signs throughout the season that they were not on the same page, so I’m not surprised. I think Shanahan wanted a different type of defense so the hire was a bit odd to begin with.

I feel bad for Wilks, but in the end I just don’t think the two of them were a good match.

This is what Shanahan said in his press conference. They want to go in a different direction with defensive scheme. Said he went back and watched the whole season.