• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think Wilks has been told he has the job. (Speculation)

electro's horse

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not so sure how else to see it other than he's blindly hitting every button. 

Keeping floundering Hurney 2.0 to lead new coach selection

Hiring a college coach to a massive contract that never beat a ranked opponent 

Letting said college coach bring an almost  entirely college staff to run the team

Giving zero NFL experience coach GM level control - 5 QBs in 3 years not even factoring in the cost

Keeping college coach after year 2 of abject miserable failure 

Taking away the franchise and fan base mantra Keep Pounding only to replace it with "The Brand". 

Installing college mentality to professional football. 

Stadium debacle

Panthers HQ debacle

I don't know how you can look at were we are as a franchise right now and say a monkey pushing buttons couldn't have accomplished the same or more. 

Not here to defend Tepper but I bolded what are no doubt true, but all a part of the same initial decision to hire and give Rhule a czar type control over the franchise.  That control seemed to stem everywhere from marketing to management to coaching.  DT hired him and said make it your program.  That failed miserably.  

Panthers HQ was an unmitigated disaster.  That's a bad look.

What's the stadium debacle?

Regarding Wilks, my take is that he looks like the guy many thought he was in 2016 after replacing McD.  He is an excellent AHC that can run practice and get the team gelled.  He is not a game planner, coordinator, or HC.  Excellent position coach, really good right-hand man, not a HC or even a coordinator IMO.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Not here to defend Tepper but I bolded what are no doubt true, but all a part of the same initial decision to hire and give Rhule a czar type control over the franchise.  That control seemed to stem everywhere from marketing to management to coaching.  DT hired him and said make it your program.  That failed miserably.  

Regarding Wilks, my take is that he looks like the guy many thought he was in 2016 after replacing McD.  He is an excellent AHC that can run practice and get the team gelled.  He is not a game planner, coordinator, or HC.  Excellent position coach, really good right-hand man, not a HC or even a coordinator IMO.  

As usual I think you are spot on.

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Not quite.

He admitted he didn't pay attention to the "football side of things in Pittsburgh"....1st question if he ever dreamed of owning a team was Why TF not?

So he admits he doesn't know what he's doing, then proceeds to keep in place a GM that is and was a failure to help him "learn the ropes".  Trusting Marty Hurney, with his history here, makes you pretty F'ing stupid.  Not hiring a "Colbert" type, even when seeing the results of that type of team dynamic first hand, makes you stupid.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupid

• The D 1

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

I wrote this on another forum that isn’t panthers specific so pardon some of the ”no poo” observations

The lack of radical or desperate in game adjustments, that frankly the panthers don’t have the personnel or coaching to make, make me think Wilks has been told he has the job

I was at the game so some details might be off here but it’s based on what I saw from 126.  

Steelers called a perfect game to take advantage of the panthers weaknesses. On defense they played cover 1/0 and dared darnold to beat them. As I can recall he only went deep twice; one was a badly under thrown ball to Marshall, and the other was to Marshall and drew an end zone PI. 

On offense, they did what a bunch of teams have done with their run game against the panthers which is head to the outside. Panthers are bad at contain; burns struggles when the ball is run at his side, and they don’t really have a good DE opposite him.

Additionally, the panthers can’t cover wide well with their linebackers; just not a very fast group. The previous two problems are so bad I wouldn’t be upset if the panthers went LB or DE in the draft, pending what they do with coaching/qb  

to make matters worse, the Steelers feasted on the panthers fifth string DB. Keith Taylor jr should not have been single covering anyone, but I don’t think they have the personnel to make up for it. Chinn (played well yesterday) was needed in the box, and woods is garbage. Pretty clear that strategy was just to not get beat deep and hope the blitz could get trubisky. They only completed one deep pass, and that was an uncalled OPI (and a badass catch on top of that so I’m not upset)

Anyway, the panthers never panicked and changed anything. The panthers played like they understood their weaknesses and limitations, and that they aren’t changing that this year, to say nothing of halftime.

Sorta struck me as the actions of someone who’s had a conversation and been given some assurances. You’d think if Wilks was feeling like he’s gone with a loss he would have changed the game plan, limitations be damned. they would have gone for it on fourth down in the red zone, or taken more deep shots or something. And in a better situations there are definitely calls I question, but it is what it is right now. 

if another team limits turnovers and takes away our running game it’s going to be difficult for the panthers to win. The players aren’t on the roster. We play fox balls and frankly I think that’s the right move for the team right now. 

Anyway that’s my thought on the situation

What you’ve described here is the difference between a coach that game plans to win vs one that game plans not to lose. Much respect to Wilks but he’s more in the mold of a John Fox and Ron Rivera. He’s good enough to beat inferior teams by running the ball and playing good D but he’s never going to outscheme or make the necessary adjustments against a superior opponent. That’s what Tomlin and his staff did against us yesterday, and we had no ability to counter their strategy successfully. The same thing happened against the Ravens. No answers once the running game was stopped. We are 3rd in the NFL with 48 and counting 3-and-outs. Says alot about our limitations on offense, but coaches like Tomlin, Harbaugh and Bellicheck successfully scheme around these and gameplan to expose opponent’s weaknesses to their advantage. That’s the type of coaching I would really hope we’re aspiring to bring here.

I'm just glad Fiz is almost always wrong with his speculation. Because if Wilks is the coach you can catch me in another 3 years. We will not be successful under him. 

Also zod you should have cancelled his username years ago. That's a really fuged up user name. 

Edited by Snake
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

I'm just glad Fiz is almost always wrong with his speculation. Because if Wilks is the coach you can catch me in another 3 years. We will not be successful under him. 

Also zod you should have cancelled his username years ago. That's a really fuged up user name. 

Thats the problem is it wont be 3 years, we will get in the hamster wheel of mediocrity and he will over stay his time here a la foxy and ron.  He will win just enough to make it hard to fire him.  I would rather roll the dice on a new product instead of a known commodity. 

Agree with the poster that says that yesterday's game was way too much of a flashback to a Fox/Rivera copy and paste game. 

If Wilks doesn't get the job, I think a finger can be pointed to yesterday's L. He said all the right things after the 'Hawks game, got the fans energized and hope for a playoff spot, coined a phenomenal phrase for home games and had us pointed in the right direction. He follows that up with a W yesterday and I think he moves much closer to the permanent position. 

I'm really pulling for him, but today feels way too much like the past five years' Mondays. 

• Pie 1

You lost me at Burns struggles when the ball is run at his side. All their big runs to the outside yesterday were to the opposite side. Burns is pretty good at setting the edge when that’s his assignment, and usually when the ball gets run at his side and posters around here throw up their fingers and scream SEE HES BAD AT RUN DEFENSE it’s because it was obviously a stunt or his assignment was to rush wide or something like that.  That’s what defensive play calling is, just cuz a player lines up in the same spot doesn’t mean the same gap or area is their responsibility every time.  

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • Beer 1

I would hope not. The more I listen to Wilks talk about what he expects out of his QB, he has stated a couple times that he expects Sam to extend plays with his legs when the WRs dont get open, when the O-line breaks down, etc. That's exactly what Ron expected out of Cam and it wasn't sustainable. I have never played football before so I may be wrong, but that doesnt seem to be a recipe for success. That's not how you help your QB or your team. I like Wilks but not his philosophy, and do not want that as our HC. We need some new ideas. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1